The consultation process around our AIP priority to seek reclassification to become a P-9 school has been finalised. We received 29 responses from parent/community members of which 3 could not be counted as the voting boxes had not been ticked, which is a shame as their written comments would have indicated their support for the change. Of the 26 we could count, 25 were in support of the change. Only one family opposed it and they had a very valid reason in that they had chosen to live in Cecil Plains because it has a P-10 school. Nearly all those in support sighted the benefits for the children to complete their three years of senior schooling (i.e. 10, 11 & 12) in the same school. Of the 17 staff responses received only two opposed the change, based on the benefits of the small school environment for the children. Once again those in support saw the benefits for the children to
complete the three years of senior schooling in the same school. The children’s feedback was more interesting as of the 34 responses (children from Yr 5- 10 surveyed) received 61.77% of children were in favour, which is interesting given that the School Opinion Survey data I talked about last week was less flattering than the parents and staff data. Once again, most saw the benefits of Years 10, 11 & 12 in the same school, but almost a third did not want to have to go to the bigger high schools, remembering that they would have to the following year anyway.
I have submitted the various bits of data and anecdotal information to regional office who will gather other influencing data, such as transport considerations and then write up the brief for the Education Minister, so he can make his decision. Although we will have no Year 10 students next year, it will more than likely not be until 2015 that we would officially become a P-9 school, if that is the minister’s decision. Therefore, we will still be timetabling for Year 10 for next year in case we do get any enrolments throughout the year.
What can you do to help at home? At this stage, it is a wait and see, until the Minister weighs up all the evidences and facts before he makes his final decision. Please keep an eye out as I will share any updates with you as they occur.